Where did the weekend go? I swear I blinked and it was Sunday night.
Normally I don’t like to rush my weekends away, but I had been looking forward to Sunday night because I had a delicious dinner planned out. Truthfully, a few weekends ago I saw this Taco Skillet up on Lexi’s Clean Kitchen (one of my all time favorite blogs), and I couldn’t make this fast enough! Thirty minutes, one pan, and all that cheese- what more could you ask for in a recipe?
Recently I noticed that I feel more hungry throughout the day. I know I have plenty of protein in my diet, but my lunches were just not as filling and around 3:00, I’m reaching for a snack. Which isn’t a bad thing, but chances are, I have probably already eaten my afternoon snack! So I decided that I should try adding a few more servings of vegetables to my daily diet and see how that feels.
- Double the veggies on your sandwich
- Always have “finger vegetables” available to snack on: baby carrots, baby cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas, etc.
- Throw veggies in your morning egg dish
- Add vegetables to your blended protein shake
- When making a stew, chili or soup, replace 1/2 the meat portion with cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and other veggies you like (I have a great beef stew recipe up and it’s loaded with veggies)
- Use a spiralizer to make zucchini noodles and replace half of your pasta noodles with the zucchini noodles ( I LOVE zucchini noodles!)
I loved the vegetable variety in Lexi’s dish.
- Red and/or Green Peppers
This was a perfect example of some of my trainers tips. My mission since has been to find more dishes where I can sneak in extra veggies like this!
I did add a little more seasoning to Lexi’s recipe because I felt that it wasn’t as “taco” flavored as it could be. I think next time I make this I will mix the meat with a tiny bit of chorizo- stay tuned for the updated recipe. Or if you test it out, let me know your thoughts!
This recipe is great served by itself or over cauliflower rice. I served mine over some cilantro and lime brown rice. YUM!
Loaded Taco Skillet
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup shredded/shoestring carrots
- 2 bell peppers, diced (I mixed both red and green)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 TSP chili powder
- 1 TSP smoked paprika
- 1 TSP ground cumin
- 1 TSP onion powder
- 1/2 TSP cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 5 ounce can diced green chiles
- 14.5 ounce can black beans
- 1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Chopped scallions, for garnish
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat oil and add in minced garlic.
- Add in zucchini, peppers, carrots, jalapeno and onion and let cook for 3-5 minutes, until veggies begin to soften.
- Mix in ground beef
- Add in chili powder, paprika, cumin, onion power, cayenne, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly. Cook until meat is brown and no pink remains.
- Add in tomatoes, green chiles and black beans and mix to combine. Reduce heat to a simmer for 5 minutes. Add in spinach and mix until wilted.
- If adding cheddar cheese, sprinkle over the top and cover the skillet until cheese melts.
- Garnish with chopped scallions and serve hot
Recipe adapted from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen